The NSW Government established the WorkCover Independent Review Office (WIRO) in 2012 as part of its reforms of the State’s workers compensation system. As a result of legislative changes effective on 1 September 2015, our name changed to the Workers Compensation Independent Review Office. We are still known as WIRO.
WIRO is an independent statutory office with a variety of roles, which include dealing with complaints about insurers as well as managing the provision of legal assistance for injured workers. We reduce red tape, time and costs for injured workers, employers and the Workers Compensation Scheme and aim to resolve disputes with claims quickly and easily.
WIRO reports to the Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation the Hon. Victor Dominello, MP.
WIRO advises the people of NSW on the best way to ensure a system for a fair and just Compensation Scheme for injured workers.
We do this by a strategy of:
- continuous review of the Compensation processes
- driving the adoption of advanced technology
- recommending reforms
- managing disputes cost effectively
- funding claims for legal assistance for injured workers.
In addition to observing the Public Sector Values of integrity, service, trust and accountability, WIRO’s values are:
- Innovation - We find new and better ways of solving problems
- Independence - We are impartial, fair and just
- Respect - We are generous, polite and honest
- Collaboration - We work together, harmoniously and focus on building unity
- Accessibility - We encourage direct